Sunday, March 9, 2008

The Skeptic's Prayer

This is the last post on our “Problem with God” blog. We will continue to monitor the postings for comments and reply as needed. It’s been good talking and dialoging with you! My sincere prayer is that you find your heart’s true home.

I leave you with this extended quote from one of my favorite authors, Peter Kreeft, professor o philosophy at Boston College from his book, Handbook of Christian Apologetics.

“This claim – that all seekers find – is testable by experience, by experiment. If you are an honest scientist, here is a way to find out whether Christianity is true or not...

Perform the relevant experiment. To test the hypothesis that someone is behind the door, knock. To test the Christian hypothesis that Christ is behind the door, knock.

How do you know? Pray! Tell Christ you are seeking the truth – seeking him, if he is the truth. Ask him to fulfill his promise that all who seek him will find him. In his own time, of course. He promised that you would find, but he didn’t promise a schedule. He’s a lover, not a train.

But – you may reply – I don’t know whether Christ is God. I don’t even know whether there is a God. That’s all right; you can pray the prayer of the skeptic:

God, I don’t know whether you even exist. I’m a skeptic. I doubt. I think you may be only a myth. But I’m not certain (at least not when I’m completely honest with myself). So if you do exist, and if you really did promise to reward all seekers, you must be hearing me now. So I hereby declare myself a seeker, a seeker of the truth, whatever it is and wherever it is. I want to know the truth and live the truth. If you are the truth, please help me.

If Christianity is true, he will. Such a prayer constitutes a scientifically fair test of the Christian “hypothesis”—that is, if you do not put unfair restrictions on God, like demanding a miracle (your way, not his) or certainty by tomorrow (your time, not his). The demand that God act like your servant is hardly a scientifically fair test of the hypothesis that there is a God who is your King.

But all this King asks for at first is honesty, not faking a faith you do not have. Honesty is a choice of the will—the choice to seek the truth no matter what or where. This is the most momentous choice you can make. It is the choice of light over darkness, ultimately heaven over hell.”

7 comments:

Terry said...

Would this one work?

God, I seriously doubt you even exist. I’m a atheist. I doubt. I’m perfectly comfortable with the fact that you are only a myth. But I’m not certain (at least not when I’m completely honest with myself). So if you do exist, and if you really did promise to reward all seekers, you must be hearing me now. So I hereby declare myself a seeker, a seeker of the truth, whatever it is and wherever it is. I want to know the truth and live the truth. If you are the truth, please help me.

What about that deny the holy spirit thing? If the doctrine of the trinity is true and I deny the existance of God don't I deny the existance of the holy spirit by default? I have actually been wondering about that.

PastorRon said...

terry: The problem is not in denying the Holy Spirit. It is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit that Jesus addressed and it was religious people who were guilty of it. The Pharisees said he was doing his work by the power of Satan; i.e. calling something of God demonic. The problem is that their hearts were hardened to God and closed to what God wanted to do through Jesus.

A skeptic or atheist cannot be guilty of blasphemy of the Holy Spirit because they don't believe the Spirit exists in the first place.

Yes, if that prayer is sincere, it will "work." I love Peter Kreeft's way of putting it; it's putting to the test something Jesus promised. Let me know how it goes...

Terry said...

How can I pray sincerely if I don't believe anyone is listening?

Rob Mehner said...

Hey there, Terry, I had a thought on that one. Friday morning I came out of the shower and all my clothes were in the laundry room. I knew my wife had left to go to the store and my daughter had spent the night with friends. So I pretty much knew it was safe to make the dash to the laundry room.

But before I did, I yell out, "is anyone in the house?" a couple of times. Now, while I was very much convinced there was no one there, my shouted question was very sincere. I sincerely wanted to know if there was someone there who I didn't believe was there.

I think you can sincerely pray that prayer if you are sincerely open to having it answered differently than you are convinced it will be.

Anonymous said...

I need some helping responding to my brother. He wrote this email to me the other day. Any help would be appreciated.

"I have been pondering a question that just popped into my mind and I can't shake it. I don't even think I have been asked this question or over heard it in a conversation or movie. Who let the serpent into the Garden? Angels prevent evil man from coming back in. Why didn't angel prevent evil itself from entering? It kind of makes you wonder who is the beauty and who is the beast?"

D.I.D.A.C.T.I.C. said...

I used to be a hostile atheist until one day, something in me made me want to try giving God a chance to make me believe by giving me a sign or anything. In the summer of 2010, I received an answer, was born again, and have been defending Him ever since!

Unknown said...

Hi I've been reading some of your posts. You are a good man. I'm glad you got saved. For a while I didn't believe in God either. Keep the faith brother
.