Friday, January 11, 2008

Judgment

Q: How do we interact with those Christians who behave in ways that are inconsistent with Christianity? How do we not judge hypocritical behavior?

A: I suspect that at various times in all of our lives, if we were honest, we would all have to admit that we have fallen short of what Christ would desire for us. In other words, we have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. It is important that we remember where we all have come from in this regard. We are all in need of a Savior.

However, I do believe the Scripture teaches that once someone has decided to follow Christ there is an expectation on that person’s behavior. It doesn’t mean that we will never mess up again. It simply means that our lives and behavior will increasingly reflect the beauty of Christ. He will increase in our lives and we will decrease (John 3:30). There is no doubt that the expectation of the Scripture is that we would live holy lives that reflect the example of Jesus Christ. We are called to live pure and blameless lives. We are called to reject anything that is evil or sinful.

The question asked mainly deals with the important issue of judgment. How do we interact or not judge those who are betraying their stated commitment to Christ?

Christians, a lot of the time, have a misconception of what the Bible actually teaches on judgment. I have noticed that many Christians are hesitant to give any judgment because they have been told that it is inappropriate for them to judge, and what’s more interesting is that they were told this by the secular community.

There is no doubt that it is God’s job to judge. This is clear in the Scripture. However, I believe that the Scripture allows us to decide or judge whether or not a behavior is in-line with the Scripture. Should a Christian gossip? The answer the Bible gives us is “no.” Is that a judgment? Of course it is. Our judgments should be in-line with the standards given in the Scripture.

A couple of practical suggestions on this question: (1) Judgment without relationship can be destructive. In other words, do you know or have a relationship with the person? If not, more than likely the person is not going to listen to you anyway. (2) Judgment is vital to right living. God has given us the Scripture so that we would know Him and know how to live. The Scripture gives us all kinds of instructions for living, but some of those instructions are implied or inferred; therefore, we must make judgments. (3) Duplicity is inconsistent with the Christian life, but many times we find ourselves or others living hypocritical lives. Therefore, we must lead with grace as God did for each of us; we must hold one another accountable to the standards of Christ; we must remember that we all have fallen short; we must remember that we all are at different places in our journey towards Christ; and finally we must never expect someone that doesn’t have a relationship with Christ to behave like some who does.

2 comments:

Meredith said...

Okay...so after this weekend, I spoke to a person that I had an issue or two with. I explained things rationally, and truly felt called by God to talk with him so we could resolve things. I felt better afterwards, but after a day of sitting on it, he's angry! He came to this website, and told me that I was judging him. I think there's a huge difference between judging and telling someone about your feelings. Am I correct in assuming this, or are they the same thing? And if they are the same, how do you accomplish one without doing the other? HELP!

Daniel Taylor said...

I am sorry you are experiencing some relational tension. Many times our judgments are informed or even fueled by our feelings, so to say that they are not the same thing could be problematic. For example, if I said, “It bothers me if you drink Pepsi in front of me” I am expressing my feeling or wishes, but I am also making a judgment that I don’t like Pepsi. My point is that feelings and judgments are not necessarily divorced from one another. They can be, but not all the time.

I am not sure what was said to the guy to upset him, so I am really unable to determine whether or not they were just you expressing your feelings or if you were making judgments on him. If you two would like to set up a time to discuss it I am more than willing to try and help. Just call the church and set up a time with my assistant, Tonia.